‘Paleo channel’ report hints at greater desalinated potential

February 6, 2017 by  

The South Coast Water District received news recently that the desalination facility it had planned for Dana Point may be able to sport a larger well system, which will increase its ability to provide potable water.

At the end of January, Mark Donovan, a GHD, Inc. senior engineer, explained to the board that preliminary sonar findings showed that beneath a layer of younger sediment, a paleo channel or ancient river bed turned out to be more extensive than at first thought.

Donovan explained the initial nine wells predicted to be available at San Juan Creek’s mouth were a low estimate. The engineer did not elaborate on whether that would mean additional wells or an expansion of the originally planned wells.

A brochure printing service can play a vital role in gaining the public support that can often grease the wheels for projects such as this one. The estimated cost of the proposed desalination plant is $85m to $90m. In May, the district board will consider the possibility of entering into a public-private partnership, such as the one Boston-based Poseidon Water alluded to in a letter South Coast received last fall.

Currently, the South Coast Water District provides water not only to Dana Point, but South Laguna, San Clemente, and San Juan Capistrano as well. Only 20% of that water is sourced locally, with the remaining 80% being imported from Northern California and the Colorado River.