Bellerose gets nostalgic

February 5, 2017 by  

The Historic New York programs put on by the Urban Park Rangers will be presenting ‘Historic New York: The World’s Fair Legacy’ early in March.

The World’s Fair was in Flushing Meadows Corona Park twice – in 1939 and 1964. The highlights of these Fairs will be presented, along with information about the Fairs’ structures that still remain on the site.

Few statues survived the 1939 World’s Fair as many were melted down and used as bombs in World War II. Two that did survive were the Elsie the Cow tiled relic and the Belgian building.

Candelas, one of the three fiberglass structures that stood at the entrance of the park’s marina, is still there. The Unisphere was at the entrance of the 1964 Fair. The Rocket Thrower and several other statues of that fair still remain. The Queens Museum was called the New York City Pavilion and still houses the city panorama. The New York State Pavilion still has Queen’s theater in the Park and a galleria. The carousel and zoo are still operating, as is the Hall of Science. Over the years, many printing companies have used pictures of these historic structures in calendars, flyers, logo designs, and letterheads.

Bellerose historical enthusiasts will not want to miss this event, which is slated for Sunday, March 5. The program will run from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm beginning at the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows Corona Park located between 111 St. and College Point Blvd. in Queens.