County residents get first look at renovated government buildings

September 22, 2018 by  

Three county government buildings, located in downtown Newark, have been renovated and restored, and were recently opened to the public. Among them was the historic courthouse.

The Ohio Open Doors project, an effort of the Ohio History Connection, was instrumental in having the Licking County Records and Archives Center, the East Main Street Annex, and the Licking County Courthouse, open for public viewing. Ohio Open Doors was established in 2016 by the Ohio History Connection, in order to instill pride in the state’s heritage, as well as celebrating the National Historic Preservation Act’s 50th anniversary. On occasions like this, officials might consider using brochure printing to provide booklets for visitors that highlight the buildings’ history.

President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the act into law in 1966, establishing a legal framework, and providing incentives to encourage the preservation of archaeological sites, landscapes, and historic buildings.

The events got underway early in the afternoon at the Licking County Courthouse, which was built in 1876, and recently renovated. The building was dedicated, and the Ohio Historical Marker rededicated. The East Main Street Annex/Child Support building, which was once home to the Ohio Power Company, was dedicated an hour later, and the Records and Archives Center an hour after that. The reading room in the archives was dedicated to Nola Rogers. After the ceremonies, all the buildings were open to visitors.

Comments