Get ready for some speed networking in Central Rhode Island
January 22, 2012 by James
The Central Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce is presenting an event they call “Speed dating for Business” at New England Tech in East Greenwich. The event will take place on January 27 from 12-1:30 pm. Tickets are $10 for Chamber members and $25 for non-members; lunch will be served.
Those who plan to attend are encouraged to bring their “elevator speech” and their business card; printing extra cards ensures you are able to give one to everyone you meet. An “elevator speech” is a 60 second summary of you, your business and what you can offer to your fellow business leaders from the Central Rhode Island area such as Warwick. Chamber members will receive a contact list of all those who attended in order to follow up with them more easily.
The blog Think Big has some tips for a successful speed networking experience:
• Come prepared – practice and perfect your “elevator speech,” make sure you have enough business cards and bring promotional literature
• Keep the results in mind – the goal is to meet as many people as you can
• Speed networking is like a mini interview – ask questions to find out what you can offer to each new person you meet
• Take notes – you won’t remember everything especially if you meet a lot of new people
• Follow up – if you promised to help someone, make sure you follow through. This can include a lunch, a phone call or even just an email
Networking is one of the most important things you can do for your business. It takes a bit of practice but with a little bit of work you will become adept at it.