Firefighters turn pink for the cause

September 6, 2013 by  

Greenwich Firefighters will be kicking off their campaign to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month with the sale of pink T-shirts and the taking of donations at the Greenwich Senior Center later this month. No doubt the firefighters are using flyer printing to let people in the community become more aware of the fight against breast cancer, and to encourage them to take part in the campaign.

During the ‘Proud to Wear Pink’ campaign this October, the firefighters will be wearing their regular blue shirts and will sell both pink and blue T-shirts. The monetary donations they receive will go towards the Connecticut affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the Breast Center at Greenwich Hospital. These organizations, and the firefighters, will be at the Senior Center to provide information to attendees about breast cancer.

According to one of the firefighters, Tom Pitasi, the Fire Department of Greenwich understands that many women in the community have been affected by breast cancer, with some of the members’ spouses being recently affected, which makes the disease even more personal. He added that it is important for people to get information and be educated about cancer so that it can be detected early and dealt with before it becomes more advanced.

The campaign begins on September 28, and 75% of the net proceeds from local community programs are invested by Komen Connecticut in the state, while the remaining 25% goes to support research at a national level.

Comments