Parma residents bid their farewells to longstanding library
October 24, 2013 by James
After more than 50 years serving Parma residents, the Parma-Ridge branch library is finally closing its doors this weekend.
The library, which is part of the Cuyahoga County system, was opened in 1953. When it first opened its doors, the building was called the Parma Regional Library and was one of the larger libraries in the region. As time passed, however, its status was reclassified to that of a neighborhood branch, and was then shut down temporarily. It reopened in 1987, but will now close permanently.
The good news is that a new branch is set to open, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at noon on Saturday, October 26. Most of the materials have already been transferred to the new location, which is at 6996 Powers Boulevard in Parma, and most of the staff will move as well. Speaking to Celveland.com this week, some employees expressed sadness over the closure but were also enthusiastic about what the new branch (which comprises 43,000 square feet and has high speed internet, community meeting rooms, and a drive up window among its amenities) will have to offer.
One of the perks of the new location is the addition of a larger space for children and teens, who currently have no special area. Creating an environment tailored to them means that they will be able to read and study without distraction.
Library officials could work with brochure printers to create a mailer for Parma residents, listing the new library’s features, location, and hours.