Wake up to networking in Overland Park
December 17, 2011 by Mark
The Overland Park Chamber of Commerce holds Make Up networking events on the second Wednesday of each month. The next one will be held at EquityBank on January 11 from 8-9am. The event includes breakfast, member updates and door prizes. Admission is free for Chamber members and $5 for non-members.
Networking with your fellow business people is a good way to start off your day. A lot of business gets done over breakfast. Make sure you bring your business card. Printing extras is recommended, it is suggested that you bring at least 75 cards to each networking event.
Networking can be very difficult for some people; CIO magazine has written an article called “12 Tips for Shy People” that offers some helpful suggestions:
1. Start small – begin with people you already know
2. Stop apologizing – don’t apologize for taking someone’s time
3. Tap into your primal instincts – people are not naturally shy
4. Be yourself
5. Tap into your passions – find a common interest
6. Ask for introductions – ask the first person you meet to introduce you to their friends
7. Be generous – be interested in what the other person has to say
8. Be prepared – practice answers to most-likely-to-be-asked questions
9. Follow up – if you promised to send something to someone, do it
10. Get over your fear of rejection – not everyone will want to be in your network
11. Take risks – don’t be afraid to talk to strangers
12. See a shrink – get help if you truly cannot network comfortably
Following all these tips should at least get you started on the road to networking comfortably.