Tips on how to make your business green
December 14, 2011 by James
The environment is currently the topic that everyone is talking about. Businesses would like to make their offices more environmentally friendly but they often don’t know how to go about doing that. There is help. The City of Baltimore has published a Green Business Guide to show the way.
Baltimore is striving to be “one of the greenest cities in the country.” The Office of Sustainability works with businesses to “improve the long-term environmental, social, and economic viability of Baltimore City.” Many feel that promoting “green” jobs means job losses; however, there are many examples of companies who are creating jobs in the city.
The Green Business Guide recommends five steps in making your business environmentally friendly:
1. Practice Energy Conservation – turning off lights when the room is not in use, using compact fluorescent light bulbs and buy ENERGY STAR office equipment
2. Recycle – having recycling bins throughout the office and listing what is recyclable and what is not
3. Print Less – only print out what is important and necessary
4. Promote Sustainable Commuting Practices – arrange for office car pools, have safe bike parking and offer telecommuting opportunities to staff
5. Utilize Green Cleaning Products – avoid products which emit harmful chemicals
All of these steps should get you well on your way to becoming “green.” One step that can be improved upon is to print less. Like it or not, a lot of what occurs in an office means you cannot avoid printing. In order to comply with this you can arrange with Baltimore printing companies to print what is necessary. Most printing companies now are using plant-based inks, recycled paper and machines that use less energy.