Roanoke’s River House is finished

May 17, 2013 by  

Commonwealth Architects of Richmond have finished rehabilitating The River House, a five-story structure located in the old Wasena District of Roanoke, Virginia.

The building, which comprises nearly 150,000 square feet, was the former home of Roanoke Ice and Cold Storage. It has been revamped as a mixed used development that will provide commercial space as well as apartment living. The building lies adjacent to the Roanoke Greenway as well as the Roanoke River, and the 128 new apartment units have beautiful views.

The River House was built during the period 1924-1926, and illustrates the way in which Roanoke developed industrially as the railroad expanded.

Among the tenants already in the commercial spaces are the Wasena City Tap Room and Grill, as well as a gym called the River Rock, which features a rock-climbing wall.

Commonwealth Architects said they incorporated the building’s industrial windows, concrete floors, and original walls into their design. They refurbished the original doors and windows and reused them as much as possible, as well as leaving existing interior floors and walls exposed to suggest the building’s original flavor. As a result, the National Register of Historic Places now recognized the construction.

The building’s owners may well want to lease the commercial spaces and rent the apartments as quickly as possible, so they might consider working with brochure printers to create a mailer for area residents. They could point out the historic nature of the property and the superb location, with views to both the greenway and the Roanoke River.

Comments